The Montreal Canadiens took a 5-1 shellacking from the Tampa Bay Lightning in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. While the defending champion Lightning list 21 players on their roster with a Stanley Cup inscription on their resumes, Montreal isn’t doing badly when it comes to suiting up Cup winners.
Six members of the Canadiens are previous Stanley Cup champions – Corey Perry (Anaheim, 2007), Eric Staal (Carolina, 2006), Tyer Toffoli (Los Angeles, 2014), Michael Frolik (Chicago, 2013), Jake Allen (St. Louis, 2019) and Joel Edmundson (St. Louis, 2019). That total ties the Canadiens for the most Cup winners among NHL teams that haven’t won a Cup over the past five years.
The team Montreal is tied with – why it’s none other than the Detroit Red Wings. This season, the Wings suited up Darren Helm (Detroit, 2008), Valtteri Filppula (Detroit, 2008), Robbie Fabbri (St. Louis, 2019), Jonathan Bernier (Los Angeles, 2012), Christian Djoos (Washington, 2018) and Jakub Vrana (Washington, 2018).
The Red Wings no longer win Cups, but they do list a lot of Cup winners.
- Whether the NHL is going to the Olympics remains uncertain, but the leagues announced plans for its signature events for next season, including the Winter Classic and Stadium Series games.
- The Penguins’ offseason intrigue continues. Prospects? Trade? Goalies? We try to answer the Penguins’ biggest questions.
- From Boston Hockey Now, the full story on David Pastrnak’s tragedy
- In honor of David Pastrnak’s son Viggo, who passed away at four days old, free subscriptions to PHN+ are available for all new donations of $25 or more to St. Jude’s Children Hospital or the Shriner’s Hospital. Just send a screenshot (via DM or email firstname.lastname@example.org) of your donation.
- Philly: Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher is “definitely” working a Seth Jones deal.
- Vegas: Are there any Vegas Golden Knights who should be untouchable, especially for Jack Eichel?
- Detroit: Are the Penguins and Detroit Red Wings planning a move? Catch the ever-so-subtle NHL trade rumor here from Kevin Allen. Detroit–Penguins trade?
Florida Loses NHL All-Star Game
- Florida: The 2021 NHL All-Star Game was to be slated Florida. COVID canceled that. But while Minnesota kept the Winter Classic, Florida lost the All-Star game to Vegas. Doh.
- Washington Hockey Now: It is Slovakia’s 28th independence celebration. As part of the national celebrations, Slovakia’s President honored Zdeno Chara.
- NYI: Oliver Wahlstrom can put the puck in the net, but was scratched for Travis Zajac for most of the New York Islanders’ playoff run. Where does that leave Wahlstrom for next year?
- San Jose (Podcast): So, which Logan Couture will show up for the San Jose Sharks next year?
- Teams that take a 1-0 lead in a best-of-seven Stanley Cup Final hold an all-time series record of 61-20 (.753). However, each of the last three teams to lose Game 1 went on to win the Cup: Washington (2018), St. Louis (2019) and Tampa Bay (2020). Monday marked the first time in four Stanley Cup final appearances that the Lightning won Game 1 of the series.
- Already one of eight different players in NHL history to win a championship in consecutive seasons with different teams, Lightning forward Pat Maroon can become the first player to win three straight Stanley Cups since multiple players did so during the Islanders dynasty from 1980 to 1983.