Fans will debate the merits of the Matthew Tkachuk-Jonathan Huberdeau trade for years to come. NHL Network recently added fuel to the discussion by ranking Huberdeau ahead of Tkachuk.
NHL Network rated Huberdeau at No. 5 is its ranking of the league’s top wingers. On the other hand, Tkachuk sits at No. 12. Washington’s Alex Ovechkin is No. 1. The Detroit Red Wings do not have a single player listed in the rankings. Tyler Bertuzzi is a 30-goal scorer with a high degree of feistiness.
Tkachuk came to the Panthers in a blockbuster deal. Florida sent Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar and a future first-round draft pick to the Calgary Flames.
NHL NETWORK TOP 20 NHL WINGERS
- Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals
- Nikita Kucherov, Tampa Bay Lightning
- Kirill Kaprizov, Minnesota Wild
- Mitch Marner, Toronto Maple Leafs
- Jonathan Huberdeau, Calgary Flames
- Mikko Rantanen, Colorado Avalanche
- Johnny Gaudreau, Columbus Blue Jackets
- Artemi Panarin, New York Rangers
- Brad Marchand, Boston Bruins
- Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawks
- David Pastrnak, Boston Bruins
- Matthew Tkachuk, Florida Panthers
- Kyle Connor, Winnipeg Jets
- Jake Guentzel, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Jason Robertson, Dallas Stars
- Chris Kreider, New York Rangers
- Alex DeBrincat, Ottawa Senators
- Gabriel Landeskog, Colorado Avalanche
- Filip Forsberg, Nashville Predators
- Mark Stone, Vegas Golden Knights
Retiring Price’s Number
Montreal Hockey Now’s Marco D’Amico believes the Canadians should retire Carey Price’s number. It doesn’t matter whether or not Price is about to retire.
The Canadiens have a long list of retired numbers. Winning Stanley Cups is a central theme of their retired numbers. However, Price doesn’t have a Stanley Cup on his resume. But he has a long list of awards.
Price will probably not be able to play again. If he is done, D’Amico writes that it’s a no-brainer. Enshrine the goalie beside the Habs greats. Montreal Canadiens.
In Case You Missed it
Bob Duff of DHN points out that Jesper Wallstedt is outperforming Sebastian Cossa. Should the Red Wings be concerned?
The Detroit Red Wings Swedish Prospects helped Team Sweden salvage their World Junior Championships performance. The Swedes beat Czechia for a bronze medal.
Grand Rapids Griffins defenseman Donovan Sebrango made WJC history when he helped Canada win the WJC.
Hockey Now Network
Boston: The Bruins and David Pastrnak aren’t talking. But “Pasta” doesn’t seem concerned about a deal with the Boston Bruins.
Philadelphia. Here are Sam Carchidi’s five reasons why the Philadelphia Flyers are improved going into the 2022-23 NHL season.
Pittburgh: Dan Kingerski provides a ranking of the Penguins’ No. 6-10 prospects. Pittsburgh Penguins.
San Jose: A recent Victory Press post from Jen Ramos, a San Jose Sharks digital media intern in 2013, highlighted the repercussions that she faced for speaking out against hockey culture in 2014. She accused a “popular writer” of sexual harassment. As Lizz Child of San Jose Hockey Now said, ‘must read!’
Washington: Nicklas Backstrom’s career could be over. Firstly, he talked candidly about how bad his quality of life became before undergoing hip surgery. Secondly, Backstrom noted that he couldn’t bend over to put on socks or tie his shoes. Washington Capitals.