New York Islanders forward Matt Martin, one of their Game 4 heroes as they pulled even with the defending Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay Lightning in their NHL playoffs semifinal, grew up in the 1990s in the backyard of the Detroit Red Wings in Windsor, Ontario. But much to the chagrin of his family, Martin gravitated to the Colorado Avalanche.
“Joe Sakic was my favorite player and Patrick Roy was my favorite goalie,” Martin explained. “When Colorado came into the league and they went to the same team, it was a no-brainer for me.
“I remember sitting at home watching as an Avalanche fan and my parents were still Red Wings fans. My family definitely wasn’t happy about it.
“Obviously, the Cup runs and the brawls and Claude Lemieux and Patrick Roy and all the fights, it caused some problems in the household. Luckily I’m not a fan of either of those teams anymore, so there’s no more heated rivalries at home.”
- Vegas Hockey Now: NHL teams are 2-0 when a member of their staff test positive for COVID-19. The Montreal Canadiens beat the Vegas Golden Knights 3-2 in overtime in Game 3. The Habs played without coach Dominique Ducharme, in quarantine following his positive COVID test. The Golden Knights won 2-1 in OT in Game 4 after GM Kelly McCrimmon was quarantined following a positive COVID-19 test. He’s the younger brother of former Detroit Red Wings defenseman and assistant coach Brad McCrimmon.
- Pittsburgh Hockey Now: If the Penguins are in the market for a physical defender, Buffalo’s Rasmus Ristolainen might be a good fit.
- Philadelphia Hockey Now: The Flyers seem to be linked to every top defenseman on the market – Dougie Hamilton, Seth Jones and now there’s ever trade speculation that Philly might again pursue Oliver Ekman-Larsson of the Arizona Coyotes.
— theScore NHL (@theScoreNHL) June 20, 2021
- Colorado Hockey Now: While the Red Wings wonder who will be their second goalie in tandem with Tomas Greiss next season, the Colorado Avalanche are wondering what they’ll be paying No. 1 goalie Philipp Grubauer, a Vezina finalist and a UFA.
- If the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup, Montreal capatain Shea Weber would join the exclusive Triple Gold club. Those are players who’ve are winners of the Stanley Cup, World Championship and Olympic gold medal. Of the 29 members of this club, nine played for the Red Wings. Slava Fetisov, Igor Larionov, Brendan Shanahan and Jiri Slegr are among this group. So are Nicklas Lidstrom, Niklas Kronwall, Henrik Zetterberg, Mikael Samuelsson and Pavel Datsyuk. As well, Mike Babcock is the lone coach in the club.